A Month or Two By Odie Leigh


 

    Happy one-year anniversary to February, the month that taught me more than almost my whole education could. About a year ago I thought I would not be able to sleep, eat or love the same ever again. I felt as if I had lost another half of me and still feel this hurt some days. In lieu of the most heartbreaking month, we will discuss a song that I see as a symbol of healing and growth. 


   TikTok showed me this song the summer after a breakup. The artist Odie Leigh creates a simplistic symphony about what it is like when you are trying to forget someone. I see this song as a staple of my summer and now my life. This song feels like the constant loop of what healing feels like in the midst of the new life you are trying to live. 


    Needless to say, I love this song with every fiber of my being. Healing is not easy. It is not one straight path. There will be voids that are filled with the wrong antidote.


     I learned that the heartbreak I felt was allowed. I can have amazing days without that one person there. I can also have gut-wrenching days without them there to comfort me as well. There is no correct way to heal, but there is one rule. Give it some time. 
    
    As the song states, "Give it some time, time, time, time, time, time, time."


    I was oh so hurt and this song really taught me that the time given to heal is more precious than wallowing. I packed this song with me on day trips, drives to work, and the drive to where it all started. 
    
    Another hard lesson in this song is the feeling of being replaced. During the summer I took time away from social media after seeing one too many things that made me forget this lesson the song so plainly teaches. 


    I had just moved back home after a tough semester and there it was...my replacement. I wrote about it, cried, screamed, and worked hard through it. Add a sprinkle of bitterness and it was a recipe for heartbreak all over again. 


    One of my past journal entries said, "Whether it be someone or something, I feel that with this change I am replaceable." The song was not fully released then, but with the small amount Odie gave us on social media, I knew this would be a hard pill to swallow. 
    
    Not only is this song about trying to forget, but it is also about constantly seeing that person everywhere, figuratively, and literally. Odie's song in the beginning said: 
 
 "I got an ad on the internet 
   For ceasing smoking cigarettes
   Isn't fun how I'd forget you if fate allowed me to."


    
I view those lyrics as no matter how hard you try that person, place, or thing is stuck to you. Needless to say, it hurt constantly. After the second verse, Odie repeats this line, but in the last line she sings, "In a month or two," instead of "if fate allowed me to." 
    
    The meaning of this to me seems that the idea of this person is slowly drifting away. As the chorus starts you are reminded that healing is not linear, and you need to give it time. You may not forget them as quickly or easily as you like, but the instrumentals and harmonies of the many, "Give it sometimes" reminds me of the amazing memories you spent not worrying about them. 
    
    That being said to my dear heartbroken self and other readers. This song healed my rage a little bit more. It left me with an appreciation for what I have now and who I have that supports me. This is also for those that love deeply as much as I do, it will be okay. I am not even fully healed but trust me when I say it will be okay. 


 Healing takes so much time and as Odie Leigh says constantly: 


"Give it some time,  
  Time, 
  Time,
  Time,
  Time,
  Time,

  Time." 

 

Comments

Popular Posts