My Way, Soon by Greta Van Fleet

 




 

    Greta Van Fleet is a band I will always enjoy. Many say that the group is copying Led Zeppelin. I personally prefer Greta Van Fleet more, but I like both, nonetheless. Many of their songs are my favorites and it is hard to pick just one from this band. However, my all-time favorite is the song, "My Way Soon". 


    I discovered the band right at a crossroads in my life. Their music was a constant for me like many of the other songs in this series. The band has a loud force to be reckoned with energy but is lyrically ethereal. I find myself listening to their music as if I am on a long journey. 


    I have two different explanations for this song. I will start with the actual meaning of the song, then with my own personal experience with the song and interpretation of the song. 


    The band is from a relatively small town in Michigan. So, it is a no-brainer that this song embodies the idea of getting out of town and going on an adventure. From start to end you can picture a group, whether it be a road trip or a simple adventure in the state. 


    As I have grown up, in a sense, I lived in a "small town" situation. I went to a small private Christian school from kindergarten to the beginning of my sophomore year of high school. I would have graduated with a class of 70 to 80 kids. Compared to the high school I did graduate from, that is not many.


    Before I moved to Tennessee I knew a lot of my graduating class, and grades below, and above me. Most I had known since kindergarten and even preschool. So, you could say it felt like a small town to me. 


    Throughout my short high school career at the small school in North Carolina. I learned that no secret was kept and that everyone would eventually know all about you, whether you liked it or not. Not to mention growing up learning the realities of fake friendships and ill-intended situationships. It was a hard area to navigate, and I found that when I went to school, it felt like a reality T.V. show, instead of school. 


    As the idea of college and adulthood slowly approached, I realized that I wanted to get out. I was tired of hearing the same stories about many of the graduating classes getting married, having kids, and staying put. I hated that and I still do. I was tired of being told how I should be a "good wife" and how I should essentially mother my future husband. I hated that and I still do.


    Thankfully, I am out, and even though the change was hard, I made it. I would have never been the person I am without the experiences I had then. Once I moved, I made it my mission to never stay put, settle for less, and settle too early in life like those I had seen. I had a whole life ahead of me, why would I waste it on having kids by 22 years old? 


    In more ways than one this song encouraged me throughout all 2022. It encouraged me to never lose sight of the constant adventures I craved from a very young age. I do not want to let down 10-, 15-, or 18-year-old Paige.


    The second meaning, which I believe personally, connects to rage, specifically feminine rage. Due to growing up in a unique school environment surrounded by religious beliefs, I have a bit of rage, stored away. Female rage on many occasions has been displayed in my opinion incorrectly. Many of the incorrect interpretations are from those who do not understand the complexities of what it is like to be a woman. 


    Before I dive in, men are not the villains in this story, but like many say, "it's a man’s world". It is a complex world and the divide between men and women is thick at most times. 


* For those that need a bit more information about this topic I have linked a Ted Talk at the end of this article that I find helpful. I encourage you to watch it before finishing up this read! *


    Anger for me personally used to be an emotion pushed away because of societal norms I learned. Such as, "turn the other cheek", "boys will be boys", "he was only mean to you because he likes you", etc. Although I still believe in turning the other cheek, it is a complex saying, and I believe it to a degree.


    Out of all the emotions I have the most rage or anger because of many unresolved issues. Most of the time I push them away and other times I do not. For those that are closest to me though, they see the loudest anger in me because I am comfortable.  A lot of the time in my childhood, I saw the villain express their anger and fury. Obviously, as a young girl, I did not want to be the bad guy. So, I should not feel anger. These ideations of anger and being a young lady also moved with me in that small Christian school. 


    I am slowly trying to unlearn the ideas that support gendered emotions (e.g., Boys are allowed to feel angry, but it’s not manly cry about it. Girls need to be calm and collected at all times. If they are not, they are the crazy psychotic villain.). Although when it comes down to expressing my anger, I have lots of homework. 


    This song I always listened to this when I was angry or frustrated. I listen to it when I felt just about any emotion. The lyrics left me with the same feeling though. It was the feeling that I will get out and that I will accomplish so much in life. I just have to dare to take that first step out. 


So, as the song says:


"I have yet to wander

Many miles far yonder

And with so much left to ponder

I choose the road."



* Ted Talk Link: https://www.ted.com/talks/soraya_chemaly_the_power_of_women_s_anger?language=en 


    For those patiently waiting on the next few posts, thank you! I took the "break" part of winter break to a whole other level and took that time to recharge. The series will continue, just not as consistently as I promised. I look forward to sharing more music with everyone and my thought process with each one! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts